[FRIAM] quotes and questions

glen gepropella at gmail.com
Thu May 12 11:55:11 EDT 2022

I've always wondered why we obsessively dichotomize. I've tried to express my confusion in the context of the law of noncontradiction and excluded middle since my 1st (authentic) analysis course in college. I'd caught a whiff of intuitionism by that time and asked my prof about it. He wisely feigned ignorance and suggested I do my homework.

When Dave asks a question like "What is the negation of evolution?", it absolutely *begs* us to avoid negation  ... this silly impulse to think in dichotomies. Negation is a stupid concept, perhaps the most Evil human invention ... maybe 2nd only to religion. And juxtaposed with evolution, which relies heavily on high-dimensional contexts, makes it crystal clear how stupid a concept negation actually is.

Now, "opposition" carries much more ambiguity. One could think of it (and "reaction") in something like Newton's 3rd law. But the ambiguity also allows us to think in terms of a bushy opposition or "response", rather than negation or reaction. So kudos to the quotees who used the more ambiguous term, helping us think a little more broadly. And woe to those who read the ambiguous term and preemptively register it as the miniscule-minded concept of negation.

That bushy opposition flows nicely into Dave's invocation of "stress". In the past, I've expressed affinity with the (ole timey) Cynics who flout contemporary norms and attempt for Flow. But if I'm honest, I'm actually anti-Flow ... or maybe it's a kind of processor-sliced-multi-Flow. The only time I feel authentic is when I'm surfing a stressful context ... like some adrenaline junky hopping from one brief high to another. Comfort, Groove, Flow, Eudaimonia, are most accurately mapped to something like laminar death. Turbulence is the new groovy. Flow is for squares, man.

--
Mɥǝu ǝlǝdɥɐuʇs ɟᴉƃɥʇ' ʇɥǝ ƃɹɐss snɟɟǝɹs˙