[FRIAM] quotes and questions

Steve Smith sasmyth at swcp.com
Mon May 16 08:26:05 EDT 2022

DaveW -

I'm glad you invoked Indra's net in this context.  I'm not very learned
in Hindu or Buddhist texts or ideas beyond the westernized superficial
exposure that comes through various popular literature/science so I
don't trust much if anything I think I know to refer to the original (or
more aptly dependently co-arising?) intent of that language.

However, this continuing theme, often re-introduced by you (mostly) of
the limits of language and in particular formal languages and ideas such
Universal Computation never gets old for me.

I remember a perplexing conversation for both student and professor in
College when I took my budding knowledge/interest in language and logic
and philosophy into my physics classroom and asked (assertively) of my
professor "why cant we just invent a language where only truth can be
told?  which was not far from the open ended contemplation among the
small cadre of upper division physics and chemistry grad students that
got thrown together in advanced physics seminars (because there was no
graduate physics program).  I say perplexing to both myself and the
professor simply because my question was so naive as to feel like a
simple statement of fact to me and to him I think it actually confronted
his own naivety in the opposite way.

A year or two ago I stumbled into Glen with his occasional invocation of
"the holographic principle
<https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Holographic_principle>" in physics, by
imposing my own "excess meaning" (perhaps) into his use of this, wanting
it to evoke the same thing Dave's "All Contextualizes All" does.   While
it is a "truism" that when you cut a (photographically captured
interference pattern) holograph into pieces, each piece carries the
entire hologram.   Reductio ad-absurdum aside, it is the case that every
little bit of the holograph carries a little it of every bit of the
hologram, such that the quality/fidelity of the hologram is divided up
as one divides up the holograph.  The emphasis in Glen's use (as I
thought I understood it sans my excess meaning) was on the
dimension-reduction-without-loss-of-fidelity aspect.

Despite the proofs (by example?) that any dimensionally embedded CA
could be implemented as a lower dimensional CA, I have always been
mildly suspicious of the holy grail of serialization as an illusion.
The phenotype-genotype duality exposes well the "dependent origination"
of program and execution environment, albeit in a genetic/biological
context.   Embryology as well as "childhood development" seems to be no
more (or less) than a study in "dependent co-arising".  The scaffolding
of complexity is what I find fascinating and I think maybe is key to
DaveW's harping about LBL vs RBL and trying to "eff the ineffable.

A year ago maybe, SteveG reminded me of Hesse's last work "the Glass
Bead Game" which is often considered an allegorization of Indra's Net in
the modern (1949) idiom.  I only made about 1/2 of that correlation to
this conversation at the time.  Everything unfolds in the fullness of time?

My own shriveled work with UNM/DTRA of over a decade ago on a project
called "pre-incident indicator analysis" was aiming at implementing an
Indra's Net of sorts as a "hairball of interrelated event reports"
which would be organized into what we came to call a "faceted ontology"
with the ontology speaking for itself and the "facets" being in some
sense, pre-computed projections from the all-contextualizes-all hairball
into a lower-dimensional space of one of many known-to-be-useful
subject-matter-expertise areas.  I still believe this to be the problem
of internet search with human-in-the-loop solutions in the form
(primarily) of Wikis.

I'm writing this in a mild-fever dream state of jet-lag and food
poisoning.   At the Reykjavik airport we grabbed a plastic-wrapped
sandwich which it appears to have been the source of food-poisoning.
Mary suffered the brunt of it, but I am more prone to acute jet-lag so
we have been roughly equally miserable over somewhat different  if
overlapping reasons.  The point of this point is the interesting (to me)
way that dysfunction can offer a certain clarity (thus fever-dream) that
is seems similar qualitatively to the dimension-reduction/projection of
"the holographic principle" or the creation/utilization of a "facet". I
forget the idiom used in the glass-bead-game precisely and don't know
the equivalent in Indra's Net terminology.

For those who know Roy Wroth, Matt and Janire, and Jenny Q... they are
all on our itenerary, though Jenny is traveling the wilds of Alaska
while we inhabit her sweet little renovated bit of a 18c Farmhouse in
Veesp for the month of June.

- Steve