[FRIAM] quotes and questions

Steve Smith sasmyth at swcp.com
Wed May 18 15:30:40 EDT 2022

I think I agree with both of you.

As Mary and I navigate our way through our great European Vacation, we
are both learning how to "read" public transportation, etc.   Since she
is much more able to hoof arbitrarily long distances with minimal
comfort, a 2km hike to get from one terminal of public transport to
another is within her idea of "an OK time" while I reserve that as "a
desperate measure".    She is much more sensitive to cold/wet/wind than
I am, so a 200M schlep becomes intolerable for her while I would do it
in my t-shirt and sandals.

We are both, by nature, not particularly argumentative, disagreeable or
critical of others (my ramblings here may seem otherwise?) but I
understand Glen's point.  I am much more spatially comfortable than Mary
and am left with the task of sussing out "the best way to get from point
A to point B at any given time under any given circumstances", but
because I feel I am too often a dismal failure with what feels to me to
be an exotic (if not dysfunctional) system with consequences to her
(causing us to have to hike 2km in cold windy wet) I have begun
articulating my best guess of the A->B strategy I have arrived at, not
because I expect her to provide significant critique or even insight
into my ideation, but rather because A) I want her to buy in to the
risks involved; B) I think she *might* recognize a flaw in my logic,
especially after she has tried to parse a handful of these navigational
plans and seen how they go wrong (e.g.  "I know we are at the right bus
stop, getting on the right bus-line, but are we going in the right
*direction*?")

When I get a lot of head-nodding, uh-huhs, this degenerates to A) Buy In
but not B) Helpful Criticism.   If (when) she might ask me "but are we
going the right *direction*?) that criticism is acutely useful, even if
my answer is a convicted (and hopefully correct) "yes we are!".   I have
traveled previously with people who were more intrinsically
disagreeable, and to the extent that *they* raise their contribution at
the same rate they raise their *disagreement*, I much appreciate it.

I believe that one can often be a convincing *critic* without actually
parsing the *semantics* of the situation, just looking for *syntactic*
errors or anomalies to poke at.   I find the latter rather unhelpful.
Many popular media critics seem to do more of the latter than the former.