[FRIAM] (not) leaving Twitter

Steve Smith sasmyth at swcp.com
Tue Nov 1 14:23:22 EDT 2022

Thanks to Glen's clear/concise response to my fence-sitting
contemplations I <virtue-signal> /left twitter myself.../</virtue-signal>

I only had 123 tweets and 22 followers after 12+ years on the platform
so I surely won't miss it much.   Several of my "follows" were of folks
I haven't seen or heard from in most of a decade... I guess since I was
able to "unfollow" them they must still have accounts, even if they
themselves haven't tweeted in all that time.   I'm pretty sure I was
following Glen but had no indication he had left and was simply not on
my "followed" list... unsurprising that Twitter would support all of us
leaving as silently as possible.

I appreciate Marcus point about twitter having it's "finger on the
(im)pulse" of a huge subset of the first world's population.     I'll be
waiting with 'bated breath to see how much of a "great resignation"
actually happens.   Reminds me of a dystopian version of Brunner's
"Hearing Aid" or 999-999-9999 service in Proto-Cyberpunk Shockwave Rider
<https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Shockwave_Rider>.

In the process of making sure I understood how to *deactivate* I read a
few dozen tweets (mostly) by right-wing-loons saying "good riddance" to
the Libs/Dems/Snowflakes, etc.   This naturally increased my resolve.
I think I'd be happy to concede *this* town square to become another
Parler/TruthSociopath/etc.

I obviously never found Twitter that useful to myself so no "town
square" there for me anyway, unless you call a rolling street-brawl your
kind of town-square. I put away my own brass knuckles long ago.  FB had
the same structure/experience for me... maybe worse since the size of
the payloads were so much greater.

Most of the folks I'd crow to about leaving Twitter would never have
signed up in the first place...   so I suppose this is my only "crow"
<CAW !>