[FRIAM] gone Meta on Twitter, GoodReads, etc.

Steve Smith sasmyth at swcp.com
Sun Nov 6 17:51:40 EST 2022

Trying to understand BookWyrm vs StoryGraph vs GoodReads and Twitter vs
Mastadon (and beyond), I found this aggregator of alternative
recommendations:

    https://alternativeto.net/

which doesn't necessarily solve anything, it just makes it obvious how
challenging "too many choices" can be...

After a lame attempt to go with Mastadon I decided to abandond
Twitter-like things altogether.  I doubt I will be willing to throw
GoodReads over for anything else because of the participating base of my
own personal/family network there.   I can at least avoid clicking
through a GoodReads recommendation to order from Amazon.

    https://alternativeto.net/software/bookwyrm/

I haven't begun (tried?) to evaluate AlternativeTo.Net itself...

Is this the tragedy of the "free market" (subset of "commons")?