[FRIAM] more structure-based mind-reading

Steve Smith sasmyth at swcp.com
Tue Sep 6 14:14:52 EDT 2022

I can't find/recall the exact quote, but you made something of a convert
of me when we were discussing whether creativity/learning was *anything
more* than complex/elaborate mimicry.

Crypto-anythings (closeted "whatevers") have worked this in a similar
way to spies, but where there is a little more complicity by the
non-cryptos who may well be collaborating in the "closeting", in the
spirit of "don't ask, don't tell"...

"I/he/she/it/ze can pass" is the bar...   it is OK if some/many of the
observers "suspect" the true nature but the community shares the
consequences of a community member proving to be "less than
fully-compliant".

Whitelash supremacists' dog-whistles are a good example.   I don't want
to think that my neighbor is part of that movement, so some of the
slightly "off color" things she might say across the fence, I am
inclined to give the benefit of the doubt to...  so if she notice I
don't respond to her dog whistles, she continues to whistle them under
her breath now and then, just to soothe her inner racist/mysXinist and
maybe keep checking if I maybe have been "converted", and I continue to
(hopefully) ignore it and keep bringing her casseroles (laced with
xanax) when her husband is recovering from his latest self-inflicted
gunshot wound...

In this case, we are *all* "acting as if"...   until someone gets
converted to "radical honesty" and that just adds another level of
indirection of (self/other) deception.