[FRIAM] signal and noise

Stephen Guerin stephen.guerin at simtable.com
Fri Sep 9 13:45:31 EDT 2022

In Pradeep Sen's Dual Photography example, the signal of the "dual image"
of the playing card that is obstructed in the "primal image" is literally
taken from the noise in the primal image (the diffusive reflections).

dual image of obstructed face card on left. primal diffuse image on the
right.
[image: image.png]

watch video <https://youtu.be/p5_tpq5ejFQ?t=261> at this timecode. Rewind
to beginning to see explanation of Dual Photography.

By taking the transpose of the structured light scan, the dual image is
recovered from the noise signal. See paper
<https://graphics.stanford.edu/papers/dual_photography/>.

Can we use Dual Photography as a metaphor where the noise and odor of
waste of organisms becomes perceivable signal to food for dual organisms in
the extended food web?

-Stephen

Stephen.Guerin at Simtable.com <stephen.guerin at simtable.com>
CEO, https://www.simtable.com <http://www.simtable.com/>
1600 Lena St #D1, Santa Fe, NM 87505
office: (505)995-0206 mobile: (505)577-5828