[FRIAM] signal and noise

Carl Tollander carl at plektyx.com
Fri Sep 9 22:36:09 EDT 2022

It might be instructive to shop for microphones.  Many studio audio
components (e.g. mics) have a "noise floor", roughly the amount of noise
added to the gain structure (e.g. some sequence of components, mics,
preamps, etc) so the "mixer" can tell where to profitably apply various
add-ons (compressors etc) to boost or attenuate bits and pieces of the
recorded sound.  For example, I have here an Audio Technica AT2020
condenser microphone (not a Colt revolver) with a certain frequency
response, a noise floor, an open circuit sensitivity (?) , a dynamic range,
an SNR, and so on.  It takes awhile to figure all this out, and at some
point you just Paypal it.  I sort of know what these things are, but even
naively I do hear huge differences from my Shure SM-57s. Rabbit hole
warning (you may never fully emerge from
https://www.youtube.com/c/TheHouseofKushTV/videos ), but my point being
that for any noise-ridden context there is much fiddly, and just SNR is not
by itself all that descriptive in the audio technician world.

Disclaimer, I'm not an audio technician, just rubbing up against that world
while trying to make my Taiko Zoom lessons better.  And then there's video,
oh, my.

Carl,
aspiring shop-man.