[FRIAM] Wolpert - discussion thread placeholder

glen∉ℂ gepropella at gmail.com
Mon Sep 12 09:29:15 EDT 2022

My question of how well we can describe graph-based ... what? ... "statements"? "theorems"? Whatever. It's treated fairly well in List's paper:

Levels of Description and Levels of Reality: A General Framework by Christian List
http://philsci-archive.pitt.edu/21103/

in section "6.3 Indexical versus non-indexical and first-personal versus third-personal descriptions". We tend to think of the 3rd person graph of possible worlds/states as if it's more universal ... a complete representation of the world. But there's something captured by the index/control-pointer *walking* some graph, with or without a scoping on how many hops away the index/subjective-locus can "see".

I liken this to Dave's (and Frank's to some extent) consistent insistence that one's inner life is a valid thing in the world, Dave w.r.t. psychedelics and meditation and Frank's defense of things like psychodynamics. Wolpert seems to be suggesting a "deserialization" of the graph when he focuses on "finite sequences of elements from a finite set of symbols". I.e. walking the graph with the index at a given node. With the 3rd person ... whole graph of graphs, the serialization of that bushy thing can only produce an infinitely long sequence of elements from a (perhaps) infinte set. Is the bushiness *dense* (greater than countable, as Wolpert asks)? Or sparse?

I'm sure I'm not wording all this well. But that's why I'm glad y'all are participating, to help clarify these things.