[FRIAM] Wolpert - discussion thread placeholder

glen∉ℂ gepropella at gmail.com
Mon Sep 12 09:13:22 EDT 2022

Well, I think Dave gets at something important, here, that SteveS misses by jumping to reflection (model of self modeling the world), though I agree SteveS' response to Q1 is correctly oriented. But first, we can't ignore Wolpert's run-up to that 1st question. It seems to me he is treating proto-computational cognition with the respect it deserves. (E.g. baby ontogeny & society ontogeny.) The very asking of the question indicates that respect.

I.e. Why is it that learning those proto-computational techniques (including culture) gives us the ability to come up with science and mathematics (SAM)? In the transition from question 4 to 5, he explicitly mentions the "unreasonable effectiveness" of math, and agrees with Dave (generally) that such things are woefully impoverished compared to full models of reality. Math, as we've developed it, is inherently incapable of representing things like baby ontogeny. And perhaps that limitation is an example of "what we cannot even imagine".

Where I agree with SteveS' orientation is toward this self-referencing loopiness. Wolpert relies on his assertion that "All statements in mathematics consist of finite sequences of elements from a finite set." This is right after his discussion of how category theory may seem so beautiful to us *because* we're LIMITED in our ability to represent the world with math. It's counter-intuitive. But in general, it seems to me that it lines up well with Dave's intuition of the limitation.

While math can represent circular definitions (what Robert Rosen complained about), there are deep problems in the foundations of math ... things like the iterative conception of sets ... that are attempts to do what Wolpert asks for in the later questions. And it's unclear to me that commutative categories reduce to "finite sequences of elements from a finite set", prolly 'cause I'm just ignorant. But diagrammatic loops in graphs don't look to me like finite sequences.

In any case, the question is a can kicked down the road. Even if our math is growing more powerful, what *can* we understand about where it might go if, say, we meet some advanced intelligent aliens or whatever?