[FRIAM] Portland interruption but my laughable internet keeps going down

Steve Smith sasmyth at swcp.com
Tue Sep 20 16:59:28 EDT 2022

Gil-

I get my service through NMSURF wireless (formerly CNSP) and have had
pretty good service, though *I* may have somewhat lower expectations
than most people...  a little like Gary... when you grow up without
*any* internet and then "come of age" with 110/300/1200bps dialup and
got really excited by 56Kbps service, what I have now (nominally 25MBps)
which *usually* supports one or more video/audio streams and feels to
have no significant lag in other uses feels like a dream.   It may well
not support the level of bandwidth/latency the high-demand gaming use
cases you have. But that is probably true of *any* service in much of NM?

A superficial observation is that since you live in one of the oldest,
most patchworked areas of Santa Fe, it might not be surprising that the
*physical* infrastructure in your area is very limited and vulnerable to
failure...   I could be wrong, if you've seen a 4'wide trench up your
road in the last 5 years they *may* have been laying first-mile fiber,
but I doubt it.

Wireless may be your best bet if you've tried everything else (especially).

- Steve