[FRIAM] Nick's monism kick

Eric Charles eric.phillip.charles at gmail.com
Sat Sep 24 23:08:17 EDT 2022

Well... yes.... but of course we recognize that Mike is reading into the
student exactly the sophistication I did not give her, which makes his
version a much better dialog for illustrating certain points, at the
expense of me trying to gut-punch Nick by having him overhear a student
completely missing the point of what he tried to teach her.

Mike gives a "Hooray" for Nick not falling into a trap of thinking
philosophical materialism or anti-materialism is relevant to the activities
of the chemistry or psychology lab, and that might or might not be
warranted. But in my dialog, Nick's sophomoric sophomore student *is* making
that mistake, and is endangering people because of that. That student
thinks the lab tech is an idiot for approaching the world in a materialist
fashion, and further thinks she can dismiss a safety warning because the
person who gave the warning is an unsophisticated thinker.

So let me make this a bit more extreme *again.*

Let's say that instead of hearing this in a hallway, Nick is watching it
play out on a video recording. At some point, the video is paused, and Nick
is asked what he thinks. Nick replies back as he did to my initial post
(modified slightly, including changed to in present tense):

I am proud of the student, proud that she has carried anything from the
psych building to the chemistry building. I am also proud of her for
holding her ground with the lab tech, even when such heavy artillery is
brought to bear on her.

As to the substance, I find the Lab Tech’s response oddly incoherent.
First he appears to ding her for her flat affect.  “Look, kid,  some
consequences are more… um… consequential than others” On that point, I
agree with him.

But then he seems to be dinging her for not understanding that the dire
consequences arise from molecular events rather than from bad lab
technique, as if they become more consequential when they are understood in
atomic terms.  As if their “dangerousness” is attached to their
“atomicness”.  This argument felt to me like some sort of creepy
essentialism, I and want no part of it.  I would have been even more proud
of the student if she had responded, “Respectfully, sir, that makes no
sense to me at all.  What is truly dangerous here, what I must be
steadfastly warned against, is mixing these two substances under particular
circumstances, or even composing a mixture that might, though inattention,
find itself under those circumstances. True, atomic principles might help
me anticipate dangers with other solutions, but the danger is in the
explosion, not in the atoms."

The person playing the tape pauses, slightly stunned by this rather
academic reply, and solemnly says "I take it you did not hear about the
explosion in the psychology lab?"

Nick gasps and says "What?!? No I hadn't!" Then, looking around the room
more keenly, he realizes there are not just academic muckety-mucks who
might be here to critique his teaching, but also some people taking notes
who might well be law enforcement of some type.

The person playing the tape continues: "After all of those things you were
so *proud *to see her to say, things continued. If I keep playing the tape
you will see the student disregard all the warnings that were given,
complaining, just as you did, about how the lab tech is clearly an
essentialist-thinker, who doesn't appreciate how irrelevant atomic terms
are to human action. She said, verbatim *almost *all the things you just
said you would be proud to hear her say, and then more about how
materialism was a faulty basis for a philosophy, and something about how it
was all just inferences all the way down anyway. The only part she didn't
say was any indication she took his warnings seriously in any way. She
stopped at the part where she said she wanted no part in such a creepy
and stupid conversation. Then she refused to leave the lab and kept right
on doing what she was doing before the lab tech gave her the warning, and
the lab tech couldn't stop her fast enough. And the recording ends with
just a flash. They are both dead now, along with several other students and
faculty members who were in the building at the time."

--------

The essential point of the initial dialog was that the student was exactly
*not* doing the extra bit of mental work Nick said he would have been
extra-proud of at the end, to understand that *whatever words the lab tech
was using*, the intent was to constrain action in accordance with known
risk. The student's obsession with the level-of-clarity of the thought
being expressed (which Mike emphasized) and with minutia about the words
being used (which Nick emphasized) *stopped* the smug and pretentious
student from heeding the warning. In the initial scenario, that refusal
simply led to the student being kicked out of the lab. Apparently her being
kicked out of the lab on those particular grounds made Nick proud of the
student, which presumably entails feeling good about himself as a teacher.
But surely that changes at least a bit if the Lab Tech, after having been
unsuccessful at creating the desired change in lab safety, is also
unsuccessful at getting the student to leave, and the thing-warned-against
(however you want to phrase it in terms of word choice or level of clarity)
came to pass?

If that had happened, would you still be especially proud of the student
for "holding her ground" against the pressure from the lab tech?

And are we going to try to blame the lab tech for not having been versed
enough in the philosophical context of the student's concern to provide the
more sophisticated answer that Mike provided?
<echarles at american.edu>