[FRIAM] Automata with FFT

Prof David West profwest at fastmail.fm
Mon Sep 26 22:47:20 EDT 2022

Alexander was a Janus: a mathematician at his father's insistence when he wanted to be an artist. An architect by compromise.  Face two was a Taoist mystic infused with hard core Catholic fundamentalism.

His Ph.D. thesis—which became his first book, *Notes on the Synthesis of Form*—was an attempt to define a mathematical science of [architectural/industrial] design. But in the same book, he stated that optimal design arose from a "non-selfconscious" process, embedded in myth and ritual and culture.

*A Pattern Language*, was part of a trilogy that included *The Timeless Way of Building* and the *Oregon Experiment*. *APL* was written by committee and edited by Alexander (although he took all the credit) to fulfill a government grant. His mystical side was front and center in *TTW*; and the Oregon Experiment was a case study.

Alexander transcended Patterns and his last major work—*The Nature of Order, vol 1-4*—centered 15 generative properties that have little to nothing to do with patterns and is far more mystical and Catholic-God focused than his earlier work.

Ward Cunningham and Kent Beck brought *APL* to the attention of the software community as a workshop at OOPSLA (ACM conference on Object Oriented Programming Systems and Applications). The 'Gang of Four' authors of *Pattern Languages of Programming* participated in that workshop. A year after their book was published a mock trial of the GoF for "heresy" was staged and they were found guilty.

Perhaps the most significant error made by the software community was seeking patterns in "solution space" rather than "problem space;" the latter being where most of Alexander's work was focused. The software patterns community looked at written programs to find multiple instances of similar bodies of code and attempt to discern a generalized problem that they solved (albeit with contextual idiosyncrasies).

There are hundreds of thousands of software patterns published, but maybe three or four that actually capable of being applied in multiple contexts—of actually being considered "true" patterns.

The connection to geometry, both in Alexander and in software patterns, was never more than tenuous. A majority of the patterns in APL (e.g., "Dancing in the Streets," "Sleeping in Public") had nothing to do with geometry or any other mathematical formalism. Even patterns like "Light from Two Sides" are geometric in the only the simplest sense.

The math in *Notes* was algebra, not geometry. Only in his last major work NO, can you find properties that are overtly geometric, e.g., "centers" and "alternating repetition."

more upon request

davew

On Mon, Sep 26, 2022, at 5:13 PM, glen wrote:
> I'd appreciate you (and SteveS) throwing some words at it. In
> particular, since software patterns are *supposed* to be linked to the
> geometric patterns of architecture, *where* or *how* has it gone wrong
> in extrapolation? Did Alexander go wrong in his extrapolation? Or did
> others [mis]interpret?
>
> (I've purposefully left the Subject the same because it definitely
> relates to Chan's morphology based taxonomy and my argument with my
> meso-biologist friend about "species diversity" versus "phylogenetic
> diversity".)
>
> On 9/26/22 15:35, Prof David West wrote:
>> I am a patterns and Alexander expert. glen's uncertainty / mild antipathy is spot on. Software patterns are an oxymoron.
>>
>> Strong words, but happy to back them up with dozens of papers written/presented and hours of discussion.
>>
>> davew
>>

>> On Mon, Sep 26, 2022, at 6:29 AM, glen wrote:
>>> Very cool! Thanks.
>>>
>>> In particular, our property abuts "the ravine", which is a semi-wild
>>> place. The permaculture categories might help me orient my own
>>> intuition (that everything in the ravine should be left alone) with my