[FRIAM] Pardon the interuption, for questions about banking apps

glen gepropella at gmail.com
Fri Sep 30 11:01:23 EDT 2022

The paper check isn't the important thing anymore. It's the numbers and the security features (Microprint, SecurityWeave, etc.). All the exchange happens between the institutions. Even signatures don't really matter anymore. So what matters about the security between you and the bank is more about your identity than it is about your money (which is only a virtual set of virtual numbers). How much money you have is socially constructed, purely virtual (even in the case of gold buried with your go-bag out in the desert - you do have a go-bag buried nearby don't you? 8^D ). But your identity is still somewhat *real*.

I'm too ignorant on the bank-to-bank infrastructure to suggest ways it might be compromised. Maybe someone else can add detail there. But the real question is: Why are you using BofA? I mean, loads of passive investing rent-seekers will *thank* you for allowing them to suck money from you into their accounts (2.87% dividends for BAC!). Why not use something more local?

--
ꙮ Mɥǝu ǝlǝdɥɐuʇs ɟᴉƃɥʇ' ʇɥǝ ƃɹɐss snɟɟǝɹs˙ ꙮ