[FRIAM] Pardon the interuption, for questions about banking apps

Steve Smith sasmyth at swcp.com
Fri Sep 30 11:53:52 EDT 2022

On 9/30/22 9:01 AM, glen wrote:
> But the real question is: Why are you using BofA? I mean, loads of
> passive investing rent-seekers will *thank* you for allowing them to
> suck money from you into their accounts (2.87% dividends for BAC!).
> Why not use something more local?

Any thoughts/insight/advice on going even further than a "local
bank"?    I dove in with Los Alamos National Bank when I moved there
because it seemed to be the epitome of "local".   I had two mortgages
there which never got sold off to a national (even though they were FHA
and had that clause).  When I cashed out of LANL I put some of my
ill-gotten gains into shares in the bank. Even Bank Officers seemed to
think that was a bad investment.   I did it anyway...  It didn't earn
(not rent-seekey enough?) but it was no worse than leaving it sitting in
one of their savings accounts, but maybe worse than a T-bill?

During my last mortgage, they had a big outside investor buy in and
mortgages started getting sold off, then the whole thing got sold to a
national (Enterprise).  For the most part, things haven't changed that
much, *but* I know that some guy dressed and looking exactly like the
Monopoly Bankster is rubbing his hands and cackling over my tiny
fraction of a drop in his fat-pockets bucket.  Because he knows that
"profit by a thousand pennies" works, even though I rarely follow the
inverse with Franklin's saved/earned aphorism.

<virtue signal>

    When I finally payed off my final mortgage last year, I got the idea
    that given the low mortgage rates I could re-up with another 30 and
    pay it down monthly (even on an accelerated schedule) from a fund I
    set up for the purpose, gather tax advantages (haven't had those in
    a while with a low mortgage and a raised standard deduction) and
    make a profit off of uncle sam or papi FED or everyone else on the
    planet I wasn't already gouging.   "Rent Seeking" by another name,
    "taking advantage" by an old fashioned one, "doing what everyone
    else does and the system expects of you" by standard parlance, and
    "smart business" to quote DT.

    So I went to my Credit Union where I hadn't held more than a token
    amount for decades (mainly cuz they didn't offer mortgages and their
    customer service was mildly clunky)...   they were happy to give me
    a fully competitive ReFi, just fill out the paperwork!   Somewhere
    in that process I twigged to just how usurious the whole
    gamesmanship was/would-be.  I mean I knew it all along, I just
    followed the "everyone does it" clause above to help ignore it.  Of
    course my spectrum of friends includes people who live virtually
    hand-to-mouth (month to month) and I know *they* don't do it, cuz
    they aint' got nothin' to do it *with*!  Long story short, I
    declined to refinance and (ab)use the homeowner-incentives of the
    'Gov (that I sometimes love to hate on) to arbitrage my blood money.

    On the backlash to that I then went looking around for local
    investment opportunities and found a few local institutions/funds
    that give loans to small, entrepreneurial activities, small-farmers
    in particular.   I'm still looking askance at them as a possible way
    to lower my guilt over the blood money I normally call retirement
    savings that is out there doing my "rent seeking" for me.   I could
    maybe dodecatuple down on the pre-paid CSA with a small organic farm
    I try to support (and depend on for healthy food) and buy them a new
    greenhouse or another 500sq ft of PV to run the fans and well pump
    when the acequia isn't running, and take it back in bumper crop
    (last year they dumped their end-of-season excess my way on several
    crops and I shared and canned and dried and froze) year after year.

</virtue signal>

So, as I pump my tiny fist at the TV (in encouragement) every time
Elizabeth Warren or Bernie Sanders or Katie Porter takes some Bankster
or Oilster or Amazonster or SpaceMogulster to task, I wonder at why I
haven't moved my ill-gotten gains to the Credit Union?   And why aren't
credit unions (more) competitive with big fat banks?  I mean in *my
mind*?  Or am I just too damned lazy to do the research or do the
transfers and get used to a new "schtick"?

Thanks to Gil and Glen for the reminder that *I* have (yet another)
tangled bit of karma to tease at here.   Geeze, I think I'll just order
another widget from Amazon, try to avert my attention.

Carry On,

- SaviorComplexster