[FRIAM] metathesis

Steve Smith sasmyth at swcp.com
Fri Dec 1 19:18:10 EST 2023

Nick -

> i used to faint-dead when people used "inform" to mean "shape" as
> in,"My thinking  was informed by Glen's concept, Steelmanning," but I
> am trying to get over that.  Turns out it's a perfectly valid meaning
> of the verb, and I don't have a leg to stand on.   I still hate it,
> but I hate it quietly. I don't object when people say it.  I just
> think about ways to kill them later.

<grin> I will try to let that inform my articulations and constructions
herein, henceforth </grin>

FWIW I did punch this meta-answer through GPT-4 to get feedback on its
grammaricity (my neologism for grammatically correct) and it gave me
basic permission to use it but with myriad warnings about possible
misconstruals.

And for recursive fascination, GPT-4 offered the following rewrite of
the above:

    "For what it's worth, I submitted this meta-answer to GPT-4 for
    feedback on its grammaticality, and it provided suggestions,
    cautioning me about possible misunderstandings."

I could probably benefit from a GPT-4 based agent-filter to my FriAM
posts (or all my writing)... but doing so seems to risk getting closer
to the fall-line of one slippery slope or another, whether inviting AI
to become my overlord or risking becoming post/transhuman. I'll save the
tangential riff this is triggering for a followup post (which I may or
may not actually release into the FriAMstreamOconsciousness)...

- Steve

    /"I know you believe you understand what you think I said, but I'm
    not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant"/

    //vs GPT's attempt to deconvolute this affected (attributed to John
    McCloskey) convolution:

        /"You might have misunderstood my intended meaning, despite
        believing you understood what I said."/