[FRIAM] metathesis

Nicholas Thompson thompnickson2 at gmail.com
Fri Dec 1 13:38:04 EST 2023

Nothing could be more calculated to bring an old pedant out from under his
rock than this thread:

Mine is the use of "incredible" to mean "excellent".   As in, "Don't you
think Rachel Maddow is an incredible commentator?"  There was an Australian
Philosopher, David Stove,  who wrote a book called, Popper and After, which
talked about how modern thought seemed devoted to neutralizing success
words ... such as "credibile", for instance.  Orwell, saw it as a step
toward Fascism.   FASCHISM.  Shirley, I jest.  Faschism could never happen
in the Unite States!

i used to faint-dead when people used "inform" to mean "shape" as in,"My
thinking  was informed by Glen's concept, Steelmanning," but I am trying to
get over that.  Turns out it's a perfectly valid meaning of the verb, and I
don't have a leg to stand on.   I still hate it, but I hate it quietly. I
don't object when people say it.  I just think about ways to kill them
later.

Beware,

Nick

Nick,