[FRIAM] ChatGPT is not very smart...

glen gepropella at gmail.com
Fri Feb 10 13:14:00 EST 2023

 From the New Yorker article Russ posted:
"If a compression program knows that force equals mass times acceleration, it can discard a lot of words when compressing the pages about physics because it will be able to reconstruct them." ... "Perhaps arithmetic is a special case, one for which large language models are poorly suited. Is it possible that, in areas outside addition and subtraction, statistical regularities in text actually do correspond to genuine knowledge of the real world?"

I think EricS has identified an almost-solution to the problem Chiang implicitly expresses above. Chiang's expression of the problem irritates me because it assumes that pathological math somehow isn't math. But it is still math. When some boorish yahoo at the pub says "2+2 isn't 4", I have to trot out the 3 group to show that 2+2 really isn't 4. 2+2=0. Even further, I feel fine arguing that Plato was as important as he was not because of his philosohy(ies), but because he wrote in *dialogue* format. When a moron like me asks an expert to explain some thing in their field, my *approach* to their facts is not somehow false ... or indicative that I don't understand something like basic arithmetic.  It's more akin to EricS' suggestion that the dialogue is helping me re-slice/re-classify [⛧] the world into the slicing used by the expert.

Of course, the extent to which I can make my slicing as crisp as that of the expert will vary. My thinking process requires that I fold the slicings I learn into some kind of semi-coherent gestalt, integrating all the slicings of every domain I can keep in context at the same time. So my ability to re-construct a slicing I learned from an expert will be lossy, not because I'm a lossy compressor, but because I'm trying to do both 1) snag-testing and 2) reduction to a grand unified model. Despite a STEMmy type's tendency to think those are the same thing, they're not. Inconsistency robustness (1) and reduction (2) are complementary. An absolute reduction to a single logic (as Chiang implies for arithmetic) is, as yet, impossible. You have to relinquish either consistency or completeness.

Anyway, this comment doesn't change either EricS' or Chiang's conclusions. It's just an attempt to show appreciation for both. Thanks.

[⛧] I wanted to write something about how the use case of ChatGPT severely biases these perspectives on what GPT3.5 is or can do. But the post was too long already. It's sufficient to say there are many many *other* use cases for GPT3.5. ChatGPT ≠ GPT3.5.

--
ꙮ Mɥǝu ǝlǝdɥɐuʇs ɟᴉƃɥʇ' ʇɥǝ ƃɹɐss snɟɟǝɹs˙ ꙮ