[FRIAM] Nick's Categories

Steve Smith sasmyth at swcp.com
Fri Feb 17 12:46:32 EST 2023

This may be something of a "punt" but I tripped over an essay on BCS's
OOO a few weeks ago and I've been wanting to introduce it into the
conversation.  I wonder if the gap in the metaphysical fundament that we
(don't) share might be bridged by some of BCS's ideas about "what means
object anyway?"

https://www.academia.edu/73428704/Extruding_intentionality_from_the_metaphysical_flux

I think where I might get most bamboozled by talk of "there is something
that it is *like* to *be* trampled dirt has to do with the boundaries of
identity and object and the subject-object relation of affordances.   A
subject perceives/experiences/exercises/relates-to the affordance of an
object?   A pile of dirt has identity as a pile only insomuch as there
is a subject (also an object in it's own right) which percieves/acts-on
the pile of dirt *as if* it had a boundary and an identity and with some
kind of affordance (e.g. trampleable?).   I don't think there is
anything intrinsic in being a distribution of dirt-particles which has
anything to do with trampling or trampleable...   but then the nature of
a foot does not make for trample-ability alone either?   To trample
requires a tramplee?   A thing to be trampled?  A state change in the
tramplee from untrampled to trampled?

Or to repeat myself, perhaps I am barking up the wrong
lexicon/ontology/cosmology here?   We are possibly (always and forever?)
on the opposite sides of a looking glass?

woof!

  - Steve