[FRIAM] Nick's Categories

glen gepropella at gmail.com
Fri Feb 17 13:39:09 EST 2023

Great find. Thanks. I will read that.

I'm a bit worried how you went from "trampled dirt" to a "pile of trampled dirt". This is the target of DaveW's first question of composition and structure. "Dirt" is a mass noun, whereas a "pile of dirt" is not. Mass nouns like "data" are interesting, I think, for the very reason you're targeting. They seem to me to be qualities, not objects. When EricC mentioned "dirt at your feet", I implicitly *registered* a locality to the quality "dirt". There's some intuitive, natural to those of us with feet, boundary around "beneath your feet" versus "way the hell over there". So, you might hedge on "pile" with "local". But as fuzzy as the boundary of a pile is, the boundary around "local" is even fuzzier.

I hate the word "affordances". But it's as good as any, I guess, as a sign for that boundary-installing transition from quality to object. If I were born without legs and spent my life in a wheelchair, I suspect that boundary-installing registration of "dirt" to "dirt beneath your feet" would be VERY different than it is now, to me with my legs.

All this to emphasize, even more, that things like registration are *body* stuff, not whatever is meant by "mental stuff", much the same way as, say, self-organized criticality is body stuff, directly dependent on the shapes and sizes of the particles. I'd expect that what it is like to be a tiny chunk of quartz is different from what it is like to be a tiny chunk of hematite. And compositionally, I'd expect a carbon molecule sitting inside a diamond to *be* different from one sitting inside a lump of coal.

--
ꙮ Mɥǝu ǝlǝdɥɐuʇs ɟᴉƃɥʇ' ʇɥǝ ƃɹɐss snɟɟǝɹs˙ ꙮ