[FRIAM] Nick's Categories

Steve Smith sasmyth at swcp.com
Fri Feb 17 16:26:09 EST 2023

On 2/17/23 11:39 AM, Nicholas Thompson wrote:
> Our family rule was, "Don't name anything  you aren't ready to take to
> the vet."

if by vet you mean "repairman" or "carwash/detailer" then I agree... I
anthropomorphize *some* vehicles and when I take them to the mechanic I
do it with a similar feeling that I take a pet to a vet.   But then I
also have a certain kind of respect for a "pile of dirt" many here would
not.   I suppose that I even consider many conformations of otherwise
inanimate/low-agency things to have a "life of their own", meager as it
might seem.   I once had a pile of sand near the entrance to my house
which I put there for a project (so I *formed* the pile myself, taking
some level of responsibility for it).... by the time the project was
complete, there was still a "mound" of sand which I was *loathe* to move
(not just because I was lazy.   It was just big enough to attract my dog
who *liked* to flop down on the top of it (all of 12" high?) and over
the space of about a year, the dog and mound had co-evolved to be more
like a *patch* of residually more sandy soil than the surrounding
adobe-silt-clay-sandy soil only barely/hardly taller than the surrounds.

I felt like that "pile" and the dog and the pair of them together were
an entity and I might even have named the pair if not for the fact I
would have had to be "willing to take the pair to the vet" but in fact,
I knew that would really confuse the vet if I did.... and most folks I
know are confused when I try to explain this... maybe it would be easier
if I would just give over and name the dog-sandpile complex?   Oh... the
dog has since died and is buried nearby under a "pile of dirt" covered
in "a pile of rocks".... the rocks are there to keep the coyotes and
ravens and humans from "trampling" the gravesite?

I'm probably just muddying this mudpile of dirt by trampling through it
repeatedly?