[FRIAM] Friday AM

Steve Smith sasmyth at swcp.com
Tue Jan 3 15:08:11 EST 2023

I recently watched a documentary on the animals living in Chernobyl,
environs and nearby evacuated villages.   The overall theme was that
while there was lots of evidence of genetic damage and mutation in
individuals, they were still "healthy populations" of many (all?)
species finding new balances among themselves... the domesticated dogs
living near-feral (most apparently can still be seduced into human
contact with food) for example had normalized to a new "mongrel-breed"
and to your point, their average lifespan is 2-3 years, which is
apparently not a long enough lifespan for any of the cellular-cancer
level mutations to yield death-by-cancer-tumor.

(Some of) the dogs do develop cancer and tumors but die of "natural
causes" like predation and starvation and exposure due to the harsh/wild
conditions.   Other more-obvious subjects of predation apparently simply
become easier prey when they are suffering cancer/tumors.  Radiation
damage/mutation/cancer just becomes a bias toward earlier death by
predation.  The bottom line in this case seems to be that "premature
mortality", etc. is a relative concept and entirely dependent on context
and that in fact, in some sense, a (still) elevated radionuclide
concentration does not mean "nuclear wasteland"... individual organisms
suffer (relative to a much lower concentration) but populations will
survive and in some odd sense thrive, and new ecological balances be found.

Apparently the largest deviation of individual species is a "river worm"
which apparently shifted from asexual to sexual reproduction...
presumably for the increased attendant (healthy?) mutation rates to
balance the radiation-induced mutation (whatever that means, I can only
guess as a total layman).  I'm assuming the sexual reproductive mode was
already entirely present, just not dominant?

I deleted the whole backstory on my own entry into the western medical
system (no drama, just giving over to getting old and wanting to keep
doing it a while longer) but my doc (40-something woman born/raised in
the Pojo valley who hung our her shingle as a "subscription" doc, no
insurance billed/accepted, etc) looks at her computer everytime we meet
(when she gets back the last round of labs and takes my word for my BP,
etc)  and tells me the % likelihood of my having a stroke or heart
attack in the next 10 (and 15 and 20) years, based on those numbers.
My grandmothers both died well before I was born of cancers that were
not really/barely treatable in those days (~1950) in their 50s.  My
grandfathers made it into their late 70s, when the US life expectancy
was something like 72/70 for women/men.   My parents made it into their
late 80s, early 90s when the expectancy (I think) had jumped up into the
80s.   What does this really mean to anyone *not* an actuary or a
nursing home administrator or a home-health aide company?   My parents
did not outlive their (modest but well-planned) savings, but came
close...   it worried my mom some when she could least afford that kind
of worry, my sister and I did our best to mitigate those worries.  In
another era she would have been living in one of our homes and died in
her own bed there...  instead, assisted-living unto hospice care... bleh!

This also begs the questions raised during Vietnam (and since) of
"excess deaths".... the Hawks insisted that, for example, out of the
~55,000 young US soldiers who died by war-violence in Vietnam, some
number (I'll make up 10% or 5500) would have died in car-accidents,
street-brawls, hunting-accidents, domestic-violence, appendecitis, or a
runaway acne infection would have died anyway, so they only had to be
responsible for the 50,000 that they threw in front of (shot out of?)
cannons... and of course, the Defoliant and PTSD deaths that came after
the conflict was over (or possibly happened during the conflict, but
back home rather than on the battlefield) are definitely not to be
counted on their tally sheet.  Of course, the Doves wanted to count all
of those multiple times... (every cancer or neurological disorder blamed
on Agent Orange and every suicide or violent death blamed on Wartime PTSD).

I think I heard the same arguments arise around COVID (excess)
mortality.   Based on my above diatribe, I'm pretty much ambivalent... I
can't say I admire either form of agenda-driven interpretation... maybe
all interpretation is intrinsically agenda-driven (model fitting)?

Mary has a good aphorism which I find to apply quite acutely and broadly
in it's trite simplicity:  "Every life is complete"... It came from a
friend whose grandchild died at-birth.  Talk about edge cases!  I
reflected on this quite a bit when Thich Nhat Hahn died last year...
and his aphorism "A Cloud Never Dies"...

What part of telomeric erosion/degradation/consumption and/or
accumulated genetic damage via toxins and ionizing radiation (over a
lifetime)seems like pseudoscience?  I'm probably missing your point.