[FRIAM] Friday AM

glen gepropella at gmail.com
Tue Jan 3 13:01:18 EST 2023

">144 mmol/l with 21% elevated risk of premature mortality". My last test a week ago showed 144! Whew! I guess I have a normal risk for premature mortality. 8^D

The concept of "premature death" is flat out ridiculous. But our inability to well-define it raises some interesting questions.

• deprivation (by the dead, by the rest of us) - is the death of Ramanujan at 32 *more* premature than the death of some rando at 32?
• life expectancy seems like yet another instance of people not understanding statistics
• quality of life - is the death of a 20 year old born into and likely to live in poverty *as* premature as the death of a 20 year old born with a silver spoon?
• natural selection - is it premature for a 35 year old who's bred, say, 10 children to die?
   · or is it premature for them to die before their children have children? I.e. is being a grandparent a necessary element of a breeder's life?
• consequentialism - had Hitler dyed at age 35, would that have been premature?

I know this seems like a tangent upon tangents. But it's not. It's nonsense to relate serum Na to premature mortality because premature mortality is nonsense. Prevalence of chronic disease seems, to me, a little more well-formed ... but not by much. Biological age just seems like pseudoscience to me, the flip side of Vampirism. I'd welcome an education, though.

--
ꙮ Mɥǝu ǝlǝdɥɐuʇs ɟᴉƃɥʇ' ʇɥǝ ƃɹɐss snɟɟǝɹs˙ ꙮ