[FRIAM] more bullsh¡t

glen gepropella at gmail.com
Thu Jan 5 17:38:44 EST 2023

AI, Teaching, and "Our Willingness to Give Bullshit a Pass"
https://dailynous.com/2023/01/05/ai-teaching-and-our-willingness-to-give-bullshit-a-pass/

The first time I heard this argument was from these guys:

https://www.audible.com/pd/Pill-Pod-104-AI-the-New-Crisis-of-Humanities-Education-Podcast/B0BPQ77Z8P

My phrasing of the idea being that tools like ChatGPT are analogous to calculators, allowing the computer to do what it's good at and freeing humans up to do what we're good at. Why require students to learn bullshit rhetorical styling when we can teach them to think about the *substance* ... a lesson many of us learned from Knuth's TeX a long time ago. The trick is that tools like ChatGPT are built around the bullshit-generation use case. What we need are tools built around the bullshit-detection use case.

With branch prediction, we could implant a little device just under the eardrum that listened to someone's speech acts for a tiny fraction, predict where it was going, and call bullshit or "pay attention" for some interval. The bullshitters' rhetoric would never even reach your audio perception devices. ... like trigger warnings for all of us sensitive snowflakes who can't bear to look on images of Mohammed <https://whyevolutionistrue.com/2023/01/05/hamline-university-assailed-for-firing-professor-who-showed-images-of-muhammads-face/>.

Those of us who've kissed the Blarney Stone, unfortunately, would spend our lives talking to brick walls.

--
ꙮ Mɥǝu ǝlǝdɥɐuʇs ɟᴉƃɥʇ' ʇɥǝ ƃɹɐss snɟɟǝɹs˙ ꙮ