[FRIAM] more bullsh¡t

David Eric Smith desmith at santafe.edu
Fri Jan 6 05:18:40 EST 2023

Your use of chatGTP, Pieter, is to my mind a very interesting thread.

There was a columnist for the New York Times many years ago, named William Safire.  I don’t even remember now what he wrote about, but he was known, and was significant to me, for being an example of “a good writer”.

Safire wrote something (column?  book?  article?) with the theme that, if one would write creatively, one should first do several years galley-rowing as an editor somewhere.  People who have an impulse to write “creatively” imagine all kinds of innovation in language that will be just dramatic and wonderful.  Editors, who have had to deal with those imaginations in the writings of others, know that most such ideas are awful and need to be beaten out of the writer if he or she is ever to become good.  So Safire’s thesis was that you really need to do this, for a number of years and a large number of other people’s pieces, to squeeze the nonsense out of you and develop a solid understanding of your language.  Kind of like, in books on French cooking, the author says “why did we have to spend the first year cooking mixed vegetables in mayonnaise over and over again; I don’t even like mixed vegetables in mayonnaise.  To which the answer, of course, is that one develops what the French term “method”: experience with uniform sizing of each ingredient, correct relative sizing across ingredients, time of introduction to heat, and on and on, so that one gets control and has everything cooked to the intended degree reliably.  Only then has one gained the tools to create.

I have run Safire’s thesis by some writers I know to see what happened; my notable memories are the ones who hate it and think it is completely wrong.

But to Glen’s point that we should think of literary AI the way we think of pocket calculators (another thing I was not allowed to have in school; my parents thought it would make me stupid).  ChatGTP can be sort of the William Safire level of basic method in language, not intending or intended to create anything, but somehow, as you say, to find a kind of solid and central expression for things.  One might even think of the appropriate training schedule for a tool meant to do just that, which could be a bit different from the ad hoc training that is probably first-gen of these tools.

Eric