[FRIAM] Deep learning training material

Russ Abbott russ.abbott at gmail.com
Sat Jan 7 18:18:43 EST 2023

Hi Pieter,

A few comments.

   - Much of the actual deep learning material looks like it came from the
   Kaggle "Deep Learning
   <https://www.kaggle.com/learn/intro-to-deep-learning>" sequence.
   - In my opinion, R is an ugly and *ad hoc* language. I'd stick to Python.
   - More importantly, I would put the How-to-use-Python stuff into a
   preliminary class. Assume your audience knows how to use Python and focus
   on Deep Learning. Given that, there is only a minimal amount of information
   about Deep Learning in the write-up. If I were to attend the workshop and
   thought I would be learning about Deep Learning, I would be
   disappointed--at least with what's covered in the write-up.

   I say this because I've been looking for a good intro to Deep Learning.
   Even though I taught Computer Science for many years, and am now retired, I
   avoided Deep Learning because it was so non-symbolic. My focus has always
   been on symbolic computing. But Deep Learning has produced so many
   extraordinarily impressive results, I decided I should learn more about it.
   I haven't found any really good material. If you are interested, I'd be
   more than happy to work with you on developing some introductory Deep
   Learning material.

-- Russ Abbott
Professor Emeritus, Computer Science