[FRIAM] Deep learning training material

Russ Abbott russ.abbott at gmail.com
Sun Jan 8 14:02:03 EST 2023

As indicated in my original reply, my interest in this project grows from
my relative ignorance of Deep Learning. My career has focussed exclusively
on symbolic computing. I've worked with and taught (a) functional
programming, logic programming, and related issues in advanced Python; (b)
complex systems, agent-based modeling, genetic algorithms, and related
evolutionary processes, (c) a bit of constraint programming, especially in
MiniZinc, and (d) reinforcement learning as Q-learning, which is
reinforcement learning without neural nets. I've always avoided neural
nets--and more generally numerical programming of any sort.

Deep learning has produced so many impressive results that I've decided to
devote much of my retirement life to learning about it. I retired at the
end of Spring 2022 and (after a break) am now devoting much of my time to
learning more about Deep Neural Nets. So far, I've dipped my brain into it
at various points. I think I've learned a fair amount. For example,

   - I now know how to build a neural net (NN) that adds two numbers using
   a single layer with a single neuron. It's really quite simple and is, I
   think, a beautiful example of how NNs work. If I were to teach an intro to
   NNs I'd start with this.
   - I've gone through the Kaggle Deep Learning sequence mentioned earlier.
   - I found a paper that shows how you can approximate any differentiable
   function to any degree of accuracy with a single-layer NN. (This is a very
   nice result, although I believe it's not used explicitly in building
   serious Deep NN systems.)
   - From what I've seen so far, most serious DNNs are built using Keras
   rather than PyTorch.
   - I've looked at Jeremy Howard's fast.ai material. I was going to go
   through the course but stopped when I found that it uses PyTorch. Also, it
   seems to be built on fast.ai libraries that do a lot of the work for you
   without explanation.  And it seems to focus almost exclusively on
   Convolutional NNs.
   - My impression of DNNs is that to a great extent they are *ad hoc*.
   There is no good way to determine the best architecture to use for a given
   problem. By architecture, I mean the number of layers, the number of
   neurons in each layer, the types of layers, the activation functions to
   use, etc.
   - All DNNs that I've seen use Python as code glue rather than R or some
   other language. I like Python--so I'm pleased with that.
   - To build serious NNs one should learn the Python libraries Numpy
   (array manipulation) and Pandas (data processing). Numpy especially seems
   to be used for virtually all DNNs that I've seen.
   - Keras and probably PyTorch include a number of special-purpose
   neurons and layers that can be included in one's DNN. These include: a
   DropOut layer, LSTM (short-long-term memory) neurons, convolutional layers,
   recurrent neural net layers (RNN), and more recently transformers, which
   get credit for ChatGPT and related programs. My impression is that these
   special-purpose layers are *ad hoc* in the same sense that functions or
   libraries that one finds useful in a programming language are *ad hoc*.
   They have been very important for the success of DNNs, but they came into
   existence because people invented them in the same way that people invented
   useful functions and libraries.
   - NN libraries also include a menagerie of activation functions. An
   activation function acts as the final control on the output of a layer.
   Different activation functions are used for different purposes. To be
   successful in building a DNN, one must understand what those activation
   functions do for you and which ones to use.
   - I'm especially interested in DNNs that use reinforcement learning.
   That's because the first DNN work that impressed me was DeepMind's DNNs
   that learned to play Atari games--and then Go, etc. An important advantage
   of Reinforcement Learning (RL) is that it doesn't depend on mountains of
   labeled data.
   - I find RL systems more interesting than image recognition systems. One
   of the striking features of many image recognition systems is that they can
   be thrown off by changing a small number of pixels in an image. The changed
   image would look to a human observer just like the original, but it might
   fool a trained NN into labeling the image as a banana rather than, say, an
   automobile, which is what it really is. To address this problem people have
   developed Generative Adversarial Networks (GANs) which attempt to find such
   weaknesses in a neural net during training and then to train the NN not to
   have those weaknesses. This is a fascinating result, but as far as I can
   tell, it mainly shows how fragile some NNs are and doesn't add much
   conceptual depth to one's understanding of how NNs work.

I'm impressed with this list of things I sort of know. If you had asked me
before I started writing this email I wouldn't have thought I had learned
as much as I have. Even so, I feel like I don't understand much of it
beyond a superficial level.

So far I've done all my exploration using Google's Colab (Google's Python
notebook implementation) and Kaggle's similar Python
notebook implementation. (I prefer Colab to Kaggle.) Using either one, it's
super nice not to have to download and install anything!

I'm continuing my journey to learn more about DNNs. I'd be happy to have
company and to help develop materials to teach about DNNs. (Developing
teaching materials always helps me learn the subject being covered.)

-- Russ Abbott
Professor Emeritus, Computer Science