[FRIAM] unrest in SoAm & Global ideological/sociopolitical/economic alignment...

Steve Smith sasmyth at swcp.com
Fri Jan 13 13:21:03 EST 2023

List -

BTW, I offered the paper on the "Latin American Growth Paradox" because
it gave a fair thumbnail sketch of what I was referring to as "the
Golden Age of Latin America" and upon reading it in more depth (beyond
the abstract/introduction/conclusion) I find it more detailed
mathematically (statistically) than I choose to dive into, so I can't
fully support or question it's rigor.  Some here probably can do that
with a fairly simple scan of the methods and results.   It was not
unexpected, but the "things we can measure", and most appropriately in
an "economics" paper tend toward widely measured economic variables
(e.g. GDP) but does give a nod to "polity" and "religion".

I don't know how close these two variables (as explored here, or in our
imaginations) qualify for the ongoing discussions with EricC on
categorical variables under the subject "Idendifying 'types' within
data", but it appears this paper punted on that by sticking to things
which are directly/obviously quantifiable (percent population Roman
Catholic) or developed specifically (polity score) to support
quantitative analysis: http://www.systemicpeace.org/polityproject.html

The Polity Project linked above introduced me to a term I was unfamiliar
with which I found fascinating, at least on the surface:

    Anocracy: mixed, or incoherent, authority regimes

and from Wikipedia

    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Anocracy#Human_rights

        </BTW, for those to whom it is not obvious, the image I "linked"
        below is not included in the mail, but rather linked back to
        Wikipedia's image database and downloaded/rendered by (most)
        mailtools on demand...   I do wish it were more common in our
        threads for folks to include (relevant) graphics that help to
        orient/illustrate the topic at hand.../>

I was *expecting* Russia to show as a "closed anocracy", and more of
Latin America as "open anocracies" but that probably just demonstrates
how unfamiliar I am with the term...  maybe "defective Democracy" fits
better?
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Defective_democracy#Types_of_defective_democracies