[FRIAM] unrest in SoAm & Global ideological/sociopolitical/economic alignment...

Steve Smith sasmyth at swcp.com
Tue Jan 17 11:51:02 EST 2023

The general sentiment of the replies to this thread seems to be: "there
is no reason to characterize anything like a 'golden age of Latin
America' beyond perhaps the post WWII boom in economies participating in
the rebuilding of Europe with a natural advantage to those who did not
participate in receiving the destruction of that war.

I have tried to take this to heart and understand what I was trying to
understand with the possibility (likelihood) that the idea of a "Golden
Age of Latin America" is probably the superposition of several
projections, some innocent, some perhaps not.   I also heard the tone
that the paper I referenced might have an element of "blame the victim"
suggesting that Latin America had somehow failed to manifest the destiny
we imagined for them.   A significant element in the limited economic
and political stability that has happened in "Latin America" during this
period has been the (barely disguised) interference of major
(super)powers around the world, in particular, the US, USSR and China
(probably in that order of magnitude?).

An interesting comment spurred by an discussionon Researchgate
<https://www.researchgate.net/post/Is_the_1950s_a_golden_age_for_Latin_America>
is inlined here:

    /I would understand the 1950s as some kind of "take-off" phase in
    state-building, economic development, education, etc., strengthened
    in the 1960s by on the one hand the Alliance for Progress, on the
    other by first attempts of import-substitution. In this view, the
    50s appear as a golden age because they were, in many parts of the
    continent, the first moment of political engagement with pressing
    issues. For the moment, that was great. Seen from today, not so
    much. I am thinking about the forced industrialization and
    indigenismo that were big in the 50s and can be critizised quite
    harshly now. - Philipp Altmann
    /

In the same spirit of Glen's recent (excellent) summary of the spectrum
(and need to embrace and traverse it) from Concrete to Abstract:  I do
believe that collective entities (such as (sub)cultures, peoples,
countries, regions, etc) can be described across the same spectrum.
Individuals (GaryS's indigenous neighbors) are probably mostly
experiencing *very* concrete things (like when the garden you depend on
for sustenance fails or stutters because of drought or flood or ???)
while scholars (and politicians and private buttinskis like me) in the
US or Europe (or even higher education *in* those regions) are smearing
(by aggregation and statistical measures) and abstracting (with
forced/adopted ontologies) the "burrs" away, leaving their observations
and judgements likely to at best only obliquely relevant to what is
"really going on".

Unfortunately, in the spirit of Harari's "intersubjective reality", as
those who wield high-leverage power come to accept and believe and act
on these "obliquely relevant" observations and judgements, then they
become in some painful way an over-arching "reality" that effects the
concrete reality of those trying to grow crops or prevent their homes
from being burned down or washed away by natural processes (sometimes
set akilter by the actions enjoined by the aforementioned out-of-touchers).

The current (continuing) battles between Lula de Silva and Bolsanaro
(and their many faithful followers) as well as our own Left/Right
Authoritarian/Liberal divides are fought in terms of these higher level
"intersubjective realities" which are the antithesis of what our own
politicians like to dub (dismissively or divisively?) "kitchen table"
issues.

I just saw a recent set of reports on the Pegasus Phone-Hacking software
which convinced me that such tools (that one in particular) are now a
mainstream part of the global intelligence/security apparatus (and their
shadows, however you find your way to aligning the "good guys" from the
"bad guys", etc.   This may feel like a tangent, but the ability to tap
directly into the global "nervous system" and monitor (and manipulate...
see discussions here on chatGPT for example) individual (and therefore
also collective) behaviours has risen significantly since my time in
this business (trying to be righteous with it at the time) in the first
decade of this century...