[FRIAM] Dope slaps, anyone? Text displaying correctly?

Steve Smith sasmyth at swcp.com
Tue Jan 17 11:55:18 EST 2023

DaveW wrote:
> I do not know and have not read Feferman, so this may be totally off
> base, but ...
>
> glen stated:
> /Worded one way: Schema are the stable patterns that emerge from the
> particulars. And the variation of the particulars is circumscribed
> (bounded, defined) by the schema.
> /
> This is a description of "culture." Restated—hopefully without
> distorting the meaning:
>
> *Culture is the stable patterns of behavior that emerge from
> individual human actions which vary (are idiosyncratic) within bounds
> defined by the culture.*
>
> The second glen statement:
>
> /Worded another way: Our perspective on the world emerges from the
> world. And our perspective on the world shapes how and what we see of
> the world./
>
> alludes to the cognitive feedback loop (at least part of it) that I
> developed in my doctoral dissertation on cognitive anthrpology.
This is nicely relevant (and I think supportive of) to my own ideations
about the individual/collective "duality", again (just to harp) in the
spirit of Yuval Harari's "Intersubjective Reality" conceit.   It also
aligns well with my own understanding of co-evolving species
(ecosystems) and the more general buddhist "dependent co-arising"...

More n Glen's observations about Schema (and the Abstract-Concrete axis)
under separate cover...