[FRIAM] Dope slaps, anyone? Text displaying correctly?

Steve Smith sasmyth at swcp.com
Tue Jan 17 12:36:22 EST 2023

Glen wrote:
> I *think* that works. Ordinarily, I react badly to hyper-formality.
> But one reason to formalize is so that we can be agnostic about the
> origins of some thing, abstracting it from the world. Whether an
> ultra-abstracter like Peirce would support the historical/scholarly
> logging of whatever messy process gave rise to the stable patterns is
> unclear to me. I tend to think he would not. It seems to me that
> Abstracters tend to want crisp boundaries and forever-trustable
> conclusions, like EricS' suggested ... "committed to making true
> statements". Concretizers, on the other hand, insufferably insist on
> adding the burrs back onto the finished piece, thereby breaking the
> machine. Somewhere within biology, the two camps diverge. Concretizers
> seem to have been rare in logic and physics, less rare in chemistry.
> Abstracters seem to percolate out of the soft sciences, which are
> described that way because they resist abstraction. Their burrs are
> resistant to machining. (Caveat that there's no shortage of hucksters
> that *claim* to have abstracted them, but haven't.)
>
> Of course, the art lies in iterating between the two poles.
> Concretizing enough to make Platonic objects useful in the world.
> Abstracting enough to make concrete objects transmissable across
> circumstance. And none of us are fully integrated animals. We do both,
> just to a greater or lesser extent.

This "oscillation" or "orbit-following" within the dimensionality
including/dominated-by concrete/abstract is fascinating to me, and I
think it *is* the dynamics that make it work.  We are so prone to want
to (statically) place an entity as a point in those spaces (quad-charts
'R Us!)  and ignore the implied *phase space* that can be derived from
them (and their dynamics).

I know this is a typical (for me) abstraction that somewhat ignores the
concrete (and the dynamical) that I speak of ...  I am (naturally) a
low-dimensional creature (A. Square ala E A Abbott ) struggling to
apprehend (and maybe navigate) a hidden higher-dimensional space I suppose.

And again, I can't resist referencing Deacon's Homeo/Morpho/Teleo
Dynamics <https://teleodynamics.org/>

Surely someone here has a better (formal) understanding of this or a
more inspired (intuitive) apprehension of this than I!?

Or I am just one hand (set of gums) clapping in the dark...