[FRIAM] NickC channels DaveW

Steve Smith sasmyth at swcp.com
Tue Jan 17 15:57:11 EST 2023

On 1/17/23 1:08 PM, Marcus Daniels wrote:
> Dogs have about 500 million neurons in their cortex.  Neurons have about 7,000 synaptic connections, so I think my dog is a lot smarter than a billion parameter LLM.  :-)
And I bet (s)he channels *at least* one FriAM member's affect pretty
well also!

My 9 month old golden-doodle does as good of a job at that (I won't name
names) as my (now deceased 11 year old Akita and my 9 year old chocolate
dobie mix bot did) but nobody here really demonstrates the basic nature
of either my 9 month old tabby or her 20 year old black-mouser
predecessor.    There is very little overlap.

The jays and the woodpeckers and the finches and towhees and sparrows
and nuthatches and robins and the mating pair of doves and the several
ravens and the (courting?) pair of owls (that I only hear hooting to one
another in the night) and the lone (that I see) hawk and the lone blue
heron (very more occasionally) and the flock(lets) of geese migrating
down the rio-grande flyway... their aggregate neural complexity is only
multiplicative (order 100-1000x) that of any given beast... but somehow
their interactions (this is without the half-dozen species of rodentia
and leporidae and racoons and insects and worms and ....) would seem to
have a more combinatorial network of relations?

I tried signing up to try chatGPT for myself (thanks to Glen's Nick Cave
blog-link) and was denied because "too busy, try back later" and
realized that it had become a locus for (first world) humans to express
and combine their greatest hopes and worse fears in a single place.

This seems like a higher-order training set?  Not just the intersection
of all things "worth saying" but somehow filtered/diffracted through
"the things (some) people are interested in in particular"...