[FRIAM] Divergent Optimism

Steve Smith sasmyth at swcp.com
Thu Jan 19 12:05:46 EST 2023

I coined a new subject to relieve DaveW from having to see his name over
and over...

I'm sympathetic with *all* the points of view expressed here, though not
always simultaneously ;)

As /homo faber/ and /homo sapiens/, it is natural that we have instincts
and cultural habits around "making" and "thinking" our way out of our
predicaments and it might not be too surprising if there were a
(collective) Dunning-Kruger effect in our society helping to drive us
forward from being the early hominids whose ability with broken stones
and sharpened sticks to the mutual-assured-destruction/climate-collapse
collective creatures that we have become.

It is deep in my nature to want to fiddle with things (make) and ideas
(think) whether experience tells me that it turns out well or not.   I
am probably more likely to "muck" with things than many here, so I am
(therefore) sympathetic with ideas which in the extreme become things
like "geoengineering" and "post/trans humanism" and it is hard for me
NOT to cheer every SpaceX launch and the science-fiction trope of
humanity spreading to fill the solar system (Moon, Mars,
Main/Kuiper/Trojan Asteroids,  ice/gas giant moons, cum-Dyson Sphere)
and the Galaxy(ies)!

Yet, I cringe a little every time we throw over some "evil we (think we)
know" for some mirage of a bit of "pie in the sky" (pie in your
eye?).    This makes me *such* a wet-blanket neo-luddite on virtually
every topic, whilst being a bit of a split personality at the same time,
cheering/hurrying toward the inevitable moment when "the next cool
thing" becomes "WTF, didn't anyone think before they did that?" answered
by "it seemed like a good idea at the time"!

But I also have a fondness for ideating on what it would mean for humans
to "slow our roll" and "look inward" (both personally and collectively)
long enough for the earth-systems we are running over/overdriving to
catch up.  But it might be  deep in our "survival instincts" to optimize
and leverage at every opportunity even if sometimes it looks like we are
nothing but techno-utopian lemmings diving off a cliff of complexity of
our own making.  "Be fecund, multiply, and innovate like crazy!"

It can be hard (or weirding) to live across this spectrum and therefore
tend to time-multiplex between those extremes, trying to remember enough
of one while I'm experiencing the other for some of the "tempering"
DaveW references.

We talk here often of predictive vs explanatory models, of epistimology
and ontologies.  And in this thread "what would change your mind?" which
is similar to "how do you know what you know?".   My own answer to the
first question is roughly "I won't know until it happens" and the second
is "I don't know, but I am always interested in finding out (more)"

Mumble,

  - Steve