[FRIAM] Turning Psychology into a Social Science

Steve Smith sasmyth at swcp.com
Tue Jan 24 19:30:30 EST 2023

As usual, I wasn't seeking anything near as crisp as I think you are.
I was merely making the observation that norm-to-norm, we often smear
one into another.   I think your "hearing voices" example is quite apt:

https://www.hearing-voices.org/

I think I agree with your implication that at best there may be a
spectrum of "mental states" which go from "pro-social" to "anti-social"
in any given social context.   When first I encountered the term
"neurodiverse" I felt relieved of the need/habit/expectation to classify
every behaviour or presentation or implied mental state as "healthy or
unhealthy".

That does not, however, imply that mental states (or complexes of them?)
can't also be on a range from "pro-survival" to "anti-survival" (again,
in a given physical context).    The basis vectors of social and
physical surely overlap...    for example, "running out in front of a
stampeding buffalo herd and waving your arms wildly" is not particularly
conducive to individual survival when done in isolation, however, when
done in coordination with a tribe of spear-wielding hunters and a blind
canyon or cliff, maybe it is *highly* pro-survival (as well as
pro-social).  Or maybe for some it is just "anxiety relief" before
bungee jumping was invented?

What I was trying to highlight maybe was what you more succinctly stated:

    "anything we classify as "mental illness" is hopelessly ill-defined
    and would be better defined in terms of context"