[FRIAM] Kinks in perceptual space

Steve Smith sasmyth at swcp.com
Sat Mar 4 18:22:41 EST 2023

This may or may not relate to the current threads about mind v body,
perceptual nature of reality, etc that we have been flogging, but it is
a topic I lived in and around for most of my career and found it both
familiar/compelling and a little disturbing:

The general topic is the non-Reimannian nature of perceptual color spaces.

The broadly accepted non-Euclidean color spaces described by the CIE
formulations (1931 and 1976) has been widely accepted while the
RGB/CMYK/HSV Euclidean approximations are what most folks use for pretty
good practical reasons (particular the conveniences of
tristimulus/process color specification and synthesis).

This recent (1 year old) publication work by some LANL folks was shoved
in my face/space recently (as a correlate to the problems we have been
working with on trying to understand the underlying space of abstract
high dimensional (very non-linear) problems such as ensemble
steering/exploration in the World3 model.   Our favored method (of the
moment) is a variant of tSNE
<https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/T-distributed_stochastic_neighbor_embedding><https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/T-distributed_stochastic_neighbor_embedding>which
prefers a locally accurate metric over a global one.

The LANL work on this non-Reimannian color space:

    https://www.pnas.org/doi/full/10.1073/pnas.2119753119

A popular article about that work:

    https://www.fastcompany.com/90780869/it-could-take-20-more-years-for-scientists-to-truly-understand-color
    <https://www.fastcompany.com/90780869/it-could-take-20-more-years-for-scientists-to-truly-understand-color>

I'm guessing this (at least) crossed Ed Angel's awareness, perhaps there
are a few others here who care about this level of detail/abstraction on
color/perceptual spaces?  Frank is probably a lot more up on the nuances
of (non) Reimannian manifolds than I ever will be...  I don't know if
this represents an interesting example of the utility of such?