[FRIAM] Theil

Steve Smith sasmyth at swcp.com
Mon Nov 13 22:53:34 EST 2023

On 11/13/23 6:42 PM, David Eric Smith wrote:
> Well in that case, definitely look up the interview he did with Sara
> Walker and Lee Cronin.
>
> I will not comment further.
>
> Eric

Gah!

Coincidence that I just finished Stephen Webb's updated review of the
Fermi Paradox.  I didn't choose to read it because I have a vested
interest in the answers (roughly 75 whack-a-moles), but rather a
fascination with the fact that the question hasn't been advanced
significantly since the Eric Jones' LA-UR of 198
<https://sgp.fas.org/othergov/doe/lanl/la-10311-ms.pdf>5  (Alias Smith
and Jones?) on the topic,  which I read as a very young LANL  Staff
Member when it was published internally.  Or the Drake equation since
1961?   It was also fascinating to be re-introduced to Knuth's Up-Arrow
notatio <https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Knuth%27s_up-arrow_notation>n for
expressing excruciatingly large numbers....

At the time it seemed like we hadn't been asking the question long
enough (~40 years) for the answers to mean much (have much
relevance?)... 40ish years later is only 2X longer yet the technical
progress (e.g. SETI/Hubble/Webb/Deep Machine Learning/...) the silence
of the cosmos seems significantly more pregnant?

I've given Walker/Cronin/Fridman about 70 minutes so far and my head
hurts (in the best way)...  and I'm clearly over my head in beaucoup
ways...   though I may not be able to stop and it will be definitely one
of those "4 hours I will never be able to, nor want to, get back?)

    she said /"the fact that we can even talk here is a result of the
    fact that we can exchange structures in assembly space"
    /

statements like this and implied references to abstractions like Godel
Numbering on Assembly Indices and Kauffman's NK model, casual graphs ala
Glymour or Perl,  L-systems, Wheeler's It-to-Bit and a spectrum from
discovered to invented, leave me (yet more) painfully aware of how over
my head I am...  I dismissed SFI's "interplanetary" announcements back
when (2019) as unserious but with Ted Chiang's "Arrival" at SFI in light
of his "Story of your Life" and the

In a few months/years I expect this type of discussion could as easily
be actors reading a GPT-X script which entirely captures the stylization
of a serious discussion without being (necessarily?) serious at all and
perhaps *nobody* could tell?

The intersection of /possibility/ and /probability/ spaces seems to
define/imply something about what I said at earlier about the difference
between memory/imagination, past/future?  (/Will, Qualia, ???/)

I'm suspect I should follow your lead and not comment further (for
entirely different reasons)...  If I really want to hurt myself (some
more) I should probably cue up Fridman's interview with Wolfram back to
back with this one.  At this rate I doubt I will ever get around to his
interviews with Netanyahu and Kushner or Rogan...

Lex just commented "/discovering wisdom through nuanced disagreement/?"
and it seems to be good support for Glen's agonism...

Argh...  "why does head hurt when Hulk try to think?"  maybe I should
sign up for the Neuralink Beta and get the GPT-shield to go with it?
With a power-tower count of components

                                            (./... must... stop... now.../ )