[FRIAM] Science Fiction Books

Steve Smith sasmyth at swcp.com
Fri Sep 8 12:22:41 EDT 2023

Cody/Glen -

I like this conceit of dreaming as disinhibited/discursive next-token
generation.

As a sometimes *lucid* dreamer myself, I feel as if that is what is very
close to what is going on for me... my best lucid dreaming is
hypnapompic... happening as I awake or as I drift in and out after a
good sleep (including various fever dreams such as an overheated nap on
a summer afternoon). Hypnagogic also, but not so much... it seems to be
a difference in tuning/calibration/angle of entry vs angle of exit?

The *lucidity* of my dreams seem to stem from some kind of split
attention or an pseudo-adversarial exchange between a *conscious* and an
*sub*-conscious component of "self".   The mode in which I engage in my
lucid dreaming experience is usually somewhat active... "guiding" the
dream-wander willfully but always gently... experience tells me that
deliberate lucid dreaming is a bit like catching dust-motes or herding
cats... too much intention blows it up and shuts it down or ruins it
qualitatively. "directed disinhibition" might be a fair description of
my best method.  Psychedelic (or opiod?) tripping may be similar for
some, my experience with such is so acutely limited that I'm just
guessing from anecdotal references.

One of my early experiences with chatGPT was to try to co-write short
fiction with it, based on some simple tech or socio-political tweak.
The final result was rather unsatisfying but Glen's implication that an
API interface might provide more degrees of freedom than merely
web-whispering at it.   I hadn't thought of it before this thread came
up, but the *problems* I had might have been in the category of *trying
too hard*...  I was probably trying to force  chatGPT to be more of a
writing assistant than a collaborative dreamer.   Naturally I begin
those story-weavings with a specific idea of what it is about and where
it is going.   Perhaps I can re-engage with something closer to Glen's
prescription?

Jason Yunkaporta in his book Sand Talk
<https://birchbarkbooks.com/products/sand-talk> invoked a (n Aboriginal)
term for doing something like this intentionally with other people and
calls it "Yarning".... somewhat discursive from the usual description of
Aboriginal Dreaming is my own connotative understanding of it as
"wandering about in the (larger) adjacent possible".  Yarning seems to
be a collaborative, directed version of this?  The question of "what
means adjacent?" is begged here methinks.

I have resisted/puzzled-over/enjoyed Glen's assertion/question about
"communication is an illusion" (probably mis-stating it here?)... and
wonder how that relates to this "dreaming" business?  It seems that what
we nominally call (or intend to be) communication is at best the weaving
of yarns (and that is a good thing)?

For the musically inclined: Dream On
<https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=89dGC8de0CA>! - Aerosmith or a
Cinematic Slam version <https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TYXYQRU2i7c>
(more to the spirit of adversarial collaboration)...

For the western take on eastern mystics among us, Alan Watts
<https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wU0PYcCsL6o>...

Discursively yours,

     - Steve