[FRIAM] Potential Vorticity and the Dynamic Tropopause

Stephen Guerin stephen.guerin at simtable.com
Mon Apr 15 19:33:04 EDT 2024

Steve,

I forwarded your review to the Gupta:

Thank you for your feedback on our paper. Your review highlights important
> areas for improvement, particularly in grounding our theoretical
> comparisons with empirical data.

Our paper was meant to be a "talking dog" demo where a few metaphors were
> presented by our 4th author we expressed them to a LaTeX-fetished audience
> with continuous and discrete math accessories. As we are at the stage of a
> one-year-old puppy, we recognize your review as more snark than barkl Thank
> you for taking the time to review the content of our paper and not just the
> style

Steve a second purpose of the paper was to be a boundary spanning object as
I was talking to Nick. When I brought up the  metaphor of NPV when he was
trying to explain potential temperature to me, I got a blank stare. I
continue to be pleasantly surprised at GPT4 ability to make these
connections and letting us play around with concepts as we try to
communicate.

Eg

Try the Prompt yourself : How is NPV in finance like potential temperature
in meteorology and more importantly poke around with it and the other
metaphors.

I gave Gupta the first three analogies and it came up with the 4th BTW
after a bit of context was developed: Potential Vorticiity and Liquidity. I
am still thinking about that one...eg both can be order parameters and deal
with residence time of energy / capital....

   - Potential Temperature and Net Present Value
   - Equivalent Potential Temperature and Risk-Adjusted NPV
   - Atmospheric Lapse Rate and Bond Yield Curves with and without
   inversions
   - *Potential Vorticity and Market Liquidity*

The third purpose of the paper, was to needle Nick a bit by putting his
name as coauthor on a web-accessible draft paper written by an AI. scandal
for sufficiently small values of scandalous.

. 20 years ago, we argued about using a wikipedia source (on dendrograms)
in a paper that our intern was writing. The intern was Nick's properly
trained prior student. Nick said we should find an original source to
reference when describing how our dendrogram algorithm worked. I argued
that we didn't use that source. we used wikipedia to get a couple details
for our code. I think using AI to write a paper is a little further down
the road than that :-)