[FRIAM] rip Dennett

glen gepropella at gmail.com
Thu Apr 25 11:11:46 EDT 2024

Both Knox (who's back in Italian court) and Robinson are atheists, but I guess practice Zen. This leads to an interesting inside vs outside conception of who they "are". It strikes me that no amount of studying a person (or, more accurately, the detritus they've left behind and the dissipating wake their behavior dredged through the ambient goo) can capture that duality. I feel this despite my arguments in favor of a kind of holographic principle for behaviorism where whatever information is inside must be encoded on the outside. Even if we buy such a principle, perhaps including a kind of information loss through radiation, the "studying" of the person would be biased by when the studying occurs. A year that starts right after they die? A year that starts according to a validated [pre|retro]diction algorithm so that the studying is finished when they die? A temporally fenestrated study that happens in little bursts over one's entire lifetime, but cumulatively sums to a year?

In the podcast episode, they publicly ask each other "how do you want to die?" Robinson's waffle is interesting. Would a Zen person want to die while in some mushin state?

Back to Dennett, OS Card, Lovecraft, and all the wonderfully productive people with an Evil facet: Skeptoid had a recent episode on EMDR <https://skeptoid.com/episodes/4928>, where Dunning concludes it has its roots in the thoroughly debunked neuro-linguistic programming tradition. Yet it may accidentally have some clinical benefit. But again, I'm skeptical of the skeptics. This rationalist *need* we have for a fully grounded, trustworthy map from inside to outside, thoughts to actions, mind to body, just feels like arrogance ... an unjustified confidence in our own brain farts. People are complex enough that we can harvest what we want, cafeteria style, and leave the rest to disappear into the amnesiac void. We neither need nor want a *complete* understanding of anyone or any thing.

--
ꙮ Mɥǝu ǝlǝdɥɐuʇs ɟᴉƃɥʇ' ʇɥǝ ƃɹɐss snɟɟǝɹs˙ ꙮ