[FRIAM] rip Dennett

Steve Smith sasmyth at swcp.com
Wed Apr 24 23:26:12 EDT 2024

I am lead by Glen's response to think of Orson Scott Card's "Speaker for
the Dead" <https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Speaker_for_the_Dead>

    In Orson Scott Card's "Speaker for the Dead," the main and titular
    theme revolves around understanding and compassion through the
    truthful telling of one's life. The novel introduces the concept of
    a "Speaker for the Dead," someone who tells the unvarnished story of
    a person's life at their death in a way that aims to present all
    aspects of the individual—their good and bad traits, their successes
    and failures—in a balanced and empathetic manner.

    This role of the Speaker is designed to allow those who are left
    behind to truly understand the deceased, fostering forgiveness and a
    more profound comprehension of the complexities of human nature.
    This practice contrasts with traditional eulogies that often gloss
    over a person’s flaws or reduce their life to a series of highlights.

    The theme extends to broader philosophical and ethical questions
    about how societies deal with truth and reconciliation, the nature
    of forgiveness, and the possibility of understanding different forms
    of life. This is particularly explored through the interaction
    between humans and the alien species called the Pequeninos on the
    planet Lusitania. The novel challenges characters and readers alike
    to consider the ways in which understanding and compassion can lead
    to healing and peace, even across the divides of culture and species.

    "Speaker for the Dead" thus delves into the necessity and challenge
    of empathy, advocating for a more comprehensive and compassionate
    approach to understanding both the living and the dead. This
    thematic focus on empathy and understanding is what drives the
    narrative and the development of its characters.

A spiritual woo-woo treatment might imply that a person's soul would not
be fully free to "move on" until such a full accounting was done. In the
book, the "Speaker" would spend a full year fully researching the
person's life and relations to achieve this thorough/blunt eulogy on the
anniversary of the Dead's passing... I don't remember how this was
supported/funded but the idea moved me when I encountered it.