[FRIAM] Quants at CMU

Pamela McCorduck pamela at well.com
Sat Dec 23 12:14:46 EST 2017

Whatever their secret sauce is, I wish CMU would bottle it and sell it. The School of Computer Science is nearly 50/50 women/men students, and from all over. And it’s no secret, of course: outstanding women faculty, and programs designed to make women at home in a larger field that has been notoriously unwelcoming—downright hostile—to them in the past.

i’m proud to say that my late husband, Joseph Traub, when he was head of the department, hired the first two women faculty members in computer science at CMU. One was Mary Shaw, who occupies a named chair at CMU these days, and one was Anita Jones, who went on to control a several-billion-dollar budget for Defense Department research.

Joe’s top graduate students are both Chinese-born. H. T. Kung (whom he brought with him from the University of Washington when he took the Carnegie job) is now William Gates Professor of Computer Science at Harvard. David Lee—oh, whoops, David was a Columbia Ph.D. But Joe’s Ph.D. students came from all over, and though his field is very densely mathematics based, he had many women students he advised.

PMcC