[FRIAM] AI and argument

Prof David West profwest at fastmail.fm
Wed Oct 4 10:47:24 EDT 2017

The notion that thought (especially "expert" thought),discourse, even
conversation can be formalized in some sense is an old idea. It can be
found in Vedic writings (oldest extant) and probably every body of
philosophy. Perhaps because so many have been frustrated with every day
thinking/communication and share some form of Nick's dream of genteel
productive discussion leading to Provisional Truth.
In relatively modern times Ramon Lull, followed by Descartes, Leibniz,
Boole, etc. the 'formalization' of choice became mathematics grounded
logic. This choice offered the potential of a implementing "correct"
thought via mechanical means. Computers, being mere machines, albeit
faster and more precise that Descartes mechanical thinking machine,
would seem to be the ideal implementation tool. Thus, the age of AI and
myriad efforts to formalize thought and communication.
A necessary presupposition — if any of these program are to come
to fruition — is: what a human exhibits is nothing more than what
a computer CAN exhibit; i.e., that a human can be nothing more
than a machine.
I am curious if any of the participants in this discussion are willing
to accept the presupposition? Especially if Nick, whose monist
"behavior," strong agreement with Pierce's three forms of logic. and
equally strong denial of "mind" might be so inclined?
dave west

Links:

  1. tel:(505)%20670-9918