[FRIAM] AI and argument

gⅼеɳ ☣ gepropella at gmail.com
Wed Oct 4 12:07:29 EDT 2017

There is an "out there" reality.  But the map between it and me (or a bee or a tree) is plectic, with all that entails including far-from-equilibrium, polyphenism, robustness, sensitivity to initial conditions, multi-scale, etc.  That implies that my understanding of what's out there can be stuck in only 1 of many attractors for a very long time, perhaps from birth to death.

Further, because other humans have similar physiology to me, some, many, or all other humans can find themselves stuck in a stable attractor for a very long time, perhaps over an infinite number of generations.

Hence, if Peirce's definition of truth is that which endures indefinitely, then I disagree fundamentally.  I, you, and all of us, can easily persist in complete delusion forever.  The question becomes whether that delusion is satisficing.  Do we care that our sense of truth could switch from one attractor to another at any moment?  Is it OK that our models of reality aren't general enough to be full (or complete) models?  My guess is that most of us don't care and are happy to assume their concept of truth is actually true.

In this conception, (if you've characterized him right) Peirce would merely be another pluralist, admitting there can be many truths and I would be a monist, insisting there is only 1 truth, but many ways to interact with it.

--
☣ gⅼеɳ