[FRIAM] on Feynman, again

gⅼеɳ ☣ gepropella at gmail.com
Fri Oct 13 12:49:34 EDT 2017

I think it's natural for someone struggling toward an objective to accept resources from wherever.  A useful example is the Templeton Foundation's funding. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/John_Templeton_Foundation  They fund some cool stuff, e.g. https://u.osu.edu/friedman.8/.  But the TF's religious bent is pretty worriesome.

Regardless, Robinson holds the same political positions as the Heartland Institute, as far as I can tell.  So, it's a good match in many ways.

Re: speculation -- It's an equivocation to claim that we're speculating on the effects of AGW.  I'm OK with that, of course, witness my argument with Nick about whether or not one can doubt (or need speculate on) the existence of the floor when you get out of bed. >8^D  But there is at least a spectrum of types of speculation.  I can speculate that a rock will fall to the ground when I let go and I can speculate the existence of white holes.  They're different types of speculation because they depend on your belief in induction and judgments about the strength of whatever evidence is provided.  My answer w.r.t. the effects of AGW is that our physical models are really all we have.  So, yeah, don't trust them implicitly.  But to ignore what those models predict would be to ignore all we have ... and that would be a bit silly.

--
☣ gⅼеɳ