[FRIAM] Doxastic logic - Wikipedia

gⅼеɳ ☣ gepropella at gmail.com
Fri Sep 22 12:00:10 EDT 2017

My answer to Roger's question is "both", FWIW.  But my concern seems slightly different from both Marcus' and Nick's answers.  I'm more concerned with the granularity of the updates/iota.  Nick's 70/30-clean/scramble is pretty fscking coarse.  As I said early on, my beliefs/skepticism is *never* that coarse.  Marcus' set of equivalent solutions gets closer to what I care about... a kind of measure of how many options one has at any given *instant* in the action process.  And I also care about the boundary of that set.  Which course corrections can I make that still lead to a satisficing objective (like crashing my bike without brain damage), which lead to failure (brain damage), which lead to optimal outcome (dodging the left-turning old lady completely), etc.

I maintain that some of this complicated problem solving is conscious and some is subconscious (muscle memory as well as the lizard brain).  And I tend to believe that the spectrum between the two is fine-grained.  I.e. there is no disjoint, binary, distinction between "things I do with full belief" versus "things I (don't) do with full skepticism."

--
☣ gⅼеɳ