[FRIAM] The Last Mile, again

Steven A Smith sasmyth at swcp.com
Tue Apr 24 11:54:00 EDT 2018

Nick-

Yes, I think it is very motivated.

With the Ammodt water settlement (Tesuque/Nambe/Pojoaque river basisns)
and the community water system being developed, we have tried to get
them to consider co-locating fiber with every water line, or perhaps
even easier, lay in water line with fiber *inside* (apparently it IS a
thing) so that every household who agrees to cap their well and take
"city water" gets an instant (dark) fat pipe of internet...   it might
be a serious added incentive for some otherwise reluctant (such as
myself) to sign up.

In contrast, the Acequia associations have been operating for centuries
in these rural parts, delivering a service (irrigation water) much like
broadband internet (in some abstract sense) to community-organized
groups...   The Mayordomo and Ditch Cleaning Day and Water Day, are all
very familiar and dear concepts... though I also know of (too) many
situations where one Hatfield or McCoy gets uppity and starts nothing
short of a range war in their neighborhood by "stealing" more than their
share of water or cutting off water to a someone downstream out of
spite, etc.   I think this experience *might* be part of the reason that
the people I was trying to help in La Puebla were a little
stiff/suspicious... they don't (fully) trust their neighbors to "play
fair" when it comes to important things like irrigation water and
streaming video.

Maybe Stanley Crawford will write a novel about this.

- Steve