[FRIAM] merging with the mob

Steven A Smith sasmyth at swcp.com
Thu Jan 25 17:27:08 EST 2018

I think it just represents their attempt to moderate their response to you!

btw... as I wrote that I realized how differently we use the term
"moderate"  as a verb and as an adjective or noun.   The noun seems to
naturally derive from the verb... that if a process is moderated then
it's outcome/result will be "moderate" relative to the range in an
"unmoderated" process, but it is interesting that some of the Noun-ness
seems to stick to the Verb-ness...  in particular I think we often
conflate the results of "a moderated process" with being "moderate" in
the sense of "mediocre" or perhaps "mild"

Moderate

    adjective

        1. kept or keeping within reasonable or proper limits; not
        extreme, excessive, or intense:
        a moderate price.
        2. of medium quantity, extent, or amount:
        a moderate income.
        3. mediocre or fair:
        moderate talent.
        4. calm or mild, as of the weather.
        5. of or relating to moderates, as in politics or religion.

    noun

        6. a person who is moderate in opinion or opposed to extreme
        views and actions, especially in politics or religion.
        7. (usually initial capital letter) a member of a political
        party advocating moderate reform.
        verb (used with object), moderated, moderating.

        8. to reduce the excessiveness of; make less violent, severe,
        intense, or rigorous:
        to moderate the sharpness of one's words.
        9. to preside over or at (a public forum, meeting, discussion,
        etc.).

    verb (used without object), moderated, moderating.

        10. to become less violent, severe, intense, or rigorous.
        11. to act as moderator
        <http://www.dictionary.com/browse/moderator>; preside.