[FRIAM] What's so bad about Scientism?

Nick Thompson nickthompson at earthlink.net
Mon Jul 9 21:37:05 EDT 2018

Wow, Frank!  What you said is much clearer than what I probably said.

(}:-().

There’s a reason I do not speak this clearly.  (};-)).

Seriously, the pragmat[ic]ist warrant for induction is if there is anything constant in an essentially random world, organisms (and knowledge systems in general) should be designed to track it. So, for instance, as we keep flipping heads, the probability that the flips are coming from a biased coin steadily increases.   Of course, if the coin we are flipping is not, in any sense, the SAME coin, then all  bets are off.  Literally.   Peirce’s notion of reality is thus statistical.  And it is based on the assumption that only generals (eg, the coin) can be real; specifics (eg, the coin today, the coin tomorrow) cannot be real because there is no way to sample them.

In short, it is no longer clear to me that Peirce’s account of induction answers the grue/green quandary.   Green is the property of being the color of grass.  Grue is the property of being the color of grass until one samples  it N times and the color of the sky thereafter.  We never know for sure which kind of entity we are dealing with, a green-like entity or a grue-like entity.   We can imagine a situation in which we are sample a chemical to see it is the d-form or the l-form.  Let’s imagine also that each time we sample it, the “spoon” we use introduces a contaminant that, when it reaches a critical concentration, flips the solution from one isomer to the other.   Peirce would say, well, I never said the world was uniform;  I only said, if there are uniformities in the world, statistical inferential systems would be the only way to discover them.  But I don’t still think this really solves the problem of induction.  Alas.

Thus, if you tell me that the probability of the coin turning up heads on the next flip is 50 percent, the relative frequency of the flips has been fifty percent up till now AND you have no reason to believe that the coin has changed in the meantime because that, in fact, is the basis for your expectations about the coin.  (Well, I suppose you could, being a mathematician, simply say you have lots of reasons to believe that the coin is the sort of thing that fits the binomial model, and let it go at that.)

I am still studying glen’s interesting comments on the relation between confidence and belief.  As you can imagine, given that he has given me one more chance, I shall be cautious in my response.

All the best,

Nick

Nicholas S. Thompson

 <http://home.earthlink.net/~nickthompson/naturaldesigns/> http://home.earthlink.net/~nickthompson/naturaldesigns/