[FRIAM] Lets try this again reaching out for advice and opinions

uǝlƃ ☣ gepropella at gmail.com
Thu Jul 12 12:09:35 EDT 2018

Well, as usual, we have to avoid any artificial discretization.  Collaboration comes in a spectrum of types just like everything else.  The lag time for feedback from one's recorded music (or video, books, etc.) is much longer than that of a "live" show.  But that doesn't mean there is no feedback to the artist or publisher.  And, as you point out, the system might be a 3 compartment system (artist, DJ, listener), which not only affects the lag time, but also the quality and type of signal (including more types: artist-listener, artist-DJ, DJ-listener, artist-listener-DJ, artist-DJ-listener, etc.).

I don't construct hardly any music, even though I trained a bit on piano and trumpet.  But I have participated in a few jam sessions (using a drum forcibly shoved at me).  Low latency collaboration between musicians is obviously required.  And I can even see the need for such tight couplings between, say, conductor and orchestra, or musician and performing dancers or whatnot.  But I still don't really understand the apparent *need* of stage bands to see their audience *react* in immediate, active, and obvious ways right then and there.

There is a clear bifurcation of stage bands, though.  The math rock bands, being largely engrossed in their production, don't seem to care that much about getting/seeing reactions during their performance.  The same seems true of most stoner, psy, and noise acts.  So, I have to infer a strong correlation between the musicians' internal physiology and their product type.  Different types of intentional evocation require/dictate different types of interaction.

And to be clear, it's not that I do or don't feel obligated to react visibly.  It's that I don't parse music by moving my body.  In fact, physical movement interferes with my ability to listen carefully.  So, yeah, if you want me to move, play rote ostinatos that I've heard over and over again in one form or the other.  But if you want me to *hear*, then play something interesting and don't demand any movement from me. 8^)

--
☣ uǝlƃ