[FRIAM] Lets try this again reaching out for advice and opinions

Steven A Smith sasmyth at swcp.com
Wed Jul 11 22:47:20 EDT 2018

I am coming to appreciate more what artists (including poets and
musicians) mean when they talk about their work being collaborative with
their audience (fans, readers, etc.)

I share your (Glen) sentiment (as something of a shoe-gazer myself) that
I am not in any (specific) way obligated to respond to their work, yet I
do believe that my response (even if it is roughly *intense shoe
gazing*) is an important part of what they are doing.

I remember listening to an NPR story (This American Life?) years ago on
roughly the anniversary of the first public/commercial audio recording
of a musical performance and the reception such a thing had at that
time.  Musicians were supposedly entirely non-plussed by this
development... the anecdotal explanation being that they simply didn't
recognize the *sound* being emitted as being representative of the
art/performance...   it obviously had a central role in some sense, but
by the time *we* came of age (depending on who "we" is here, anywhere
from the early 50s to the 2000s (I know only of one specific member of
this list under 30?) commercial LP and audio tape (reel to reel, 8
track, cassette, ???) recordings were a strong standard in the way we
experienced music.   As a DJ in the early 70s, I was aware that for any
given popular song, there may be several or *many* recorded versions
(usually from different live concerts) with subtle variations and that
*I*, with my "curatorial" role with music felt it very important to know
that *somebody was listening*.   When I allowed requests and
dedications, it was invariably maddening that the callins were almost
exclusively "teeny boppers" asking for the most ridiculously saccharine
music over and over (during Michael Jackson's "Ben" fame, they would
call *while* it was playing to ask me to play it... I set a hard and
fast rule that no song, no matter how popular would ever get played more
than once during my 3-4 hour show.

Of course, Gil's questions/requests here were not intended as
(performance?) art, so this doesn't apply directly.   I know that when
*I* as a question into the air and get absolutely NO response, it is
easy to take the deafening silence personally.

Sorry Gil... I'm glad you kept asking, even if our advice/answers are
somewhat lame!

- Stve

- Steve